Our story begins in 1859 when the majority of blind people in Scotland were amongst the most disadvantaged in the land – they had no support or extra help and that’s where we came in.
On the 7th June, 1859 ‘The Society for promoting Reading Among the Blind’ was formed. The pioneers of the charity came from various walks of life including medicine, business, the church and other positions of trust.
The Glasgow Mission to the Outdoor Blind
In 1870, we became known as ‘The Glasgow Mission to the Outdoor Blind’, which, at the time, set us apart from any other organisations offering support and care for the blind in residential institutions and sheltered workshops.
A slight change...
In 1883, we became known as ‘The Mission to the Outdoor Blind for Glasgow and the West of Scotland’, to include even more people who were blind or partially sighted.
100 years later...
A further name change was decided in 1989, we became ‘The Glasgow and West of Scotland Society for the Blind’ – and more recently, we rebranded in 2003 as ‘Visibility’.