Edinburgh sight loss support directory: social and community support
RNIB Connect service
Phone: 0131 652 3140
- There are a range of social and activity groups affiliated to RNIB for adults and young people with sight loss. Many take place at RNIB Hillside Crescent but others are held in locations across Edinburgh (and Mid and East Lothian). RNIB Connect also provides opportunities for peer and community engagement, awareness raising, volunteering etc.
RNIB Talk and Support
Phone: 0303 123 9999
- Telephone groups to socialise by phone or online, for friendship and peer support in small groups of blind and partially sighted people. Groups are run by a trained facilitator and people are matched to a group based on interests etc.
Read more about the RNIB.
Sight Scotland Family Wellbeing Service
Phone: 0800 024 8973
The Sight Scotland Family Wellbeing Service offers a range of support to individuals and families who are impacted by sight loss.
This service allows Sight Scotland to reach out to communities so that they can help people impacted by sight loss, at any stage from the point of diagnosis, offering direct support to individuals, families, friends and carers, regardless of age.
The service can:
- help with information about sight loss conditions
- provide emotional support
- provide information and advice about equipment, low vision aids, IT and assistive technology
- help with benefits, grants and financial support.
The Family Wellbeing Service can make referrals to the Sight Scotland Rehabilitation Team and signpost to other local support groups.
You can access the service through the Family Wellbeing Support Line.
This is a free, confidential service for families and carers of people with sight loss in Scotland.
Specialist advisors are available Monday to Friday, 9-5pm to answer calls to the Freephone number.
- The Macular Society runs a number of local support/social groups in Edinburgh for people with a diagnosis of a macular disease with a mixture of social/peer support and learning about new developments in treatments, aids, technology etc:
Edinburgh & SE Scotland: Meets last Friday of the month,10.15am-12.15pm (excluding December)
Edinburgh Morningside: Meets second Friday of the month, 10.30am-12pm
Edinburgh Portobello: Meets second Wednesday of the month, 1-3pm
Edinburgh Stockbridge: Meets second Friday of the month, 2.30-4pm (excl Feb/Apr/Jun/Aug/Oct)
Edinburgh Working Age & Young People: Meets second Sunday of the month, 1-3pm
To join one of the groups, or find out more, please email Iona McLean or call Iona on 07517 543998.
Read more about the Macular Society’s local support groups.
Scottish Disability Sport
- Can offer information about sporting groups for people with sight loss – local organisations/opportunities include lawn bowling, golf, skiing, Goalball, Tennis, and Tandem Cycling.
Read more about Scottish Disability Sport.
Find more information and contacts for services across Edinburgh by selecting from the options below.