Edinburgh sight loss support directory: other useful contacts
Phone: 0131 475 2337
- Provides specialist housing support, care at home and day opportunities to people with complex needs which include a sight loss. Regulated services.
Read more about Visualise.
Esme’s Umbrella: Charles Bonnet Syndrome Support UK
- A website offering information about what CBS is, why it happens, latest research, experiences and coping mechanisms of others with CBS. Also a printable leaflet about CBS which can be shown to GPs/medical practitioners to assist with recognition and diagnosis.
Read more about Esme’s Umbrella.
Phone: 01233 64 81 70
- Runs a national helpline for support and advice for people diagnosed with Glaucoma.
- Treatment buddy scheme – peer support for those undergoing or considering undergoing treatment for Glaucoma.
- Community forum (online) for sharing experiences.
Read more about Glaucoma UK.
RNIB UK Sightline Directory
- A useful resource which lets your search for sight loss services by location, category, etc.
Read more about RNIB UK Sightline Directory.
VOCAL (Voice of Carers Across Lothian)
Phone: 0808 196 6666 or email
- Supports unpaid carers in Edinburgh, providing individual support, information, free training and events, short breaks, peer support and counselling.
Read more about VOCAL.
Care and Repair Edinburgh
Affordable DIY and repairs service for older and disabled Edinburgh residents:
- Volunteer handyman (free)
- Small home repairs Joiner (charged)
- Grabrail and outdoor handrail installation (charged)
- Independent living – home assessment (free)
- Draught proofing wooden doors and windows (free)
- Trade recommendations
- Keysafe installations (charged)
- Fire alarm installations (charged unless client is on ESA or Pension Credit and a homeowner in Council Tax Band A-C)
Read more about Care and Repair Edinburgh.
Traffic signal faults
You can report faults with Traffic Signals, including audible beeps and rotating cones, using the Clarence system on 0800 232323 between 8am and 5pm on weekdays. If you are phoning outwith these times then please phone the Council Central Emergency Services on 0131 200 2000.
Find more information and contacts for services across Edinburgh by selecting from the options below.