At the end of last year, we piloted EyeCan!, our brand new six-week self-management course, with some encouraging and positive feedback from participants. The course aims to increase participants’ confidence in living with a visual impairment, increase knowledge on healthy eating and physical health, and support participants to develop a more positive attitude toward the future.
The sessions are delivered face to face at our Glasgow office in Queen’s Crescent. Sessions are open to people living with sight loss and a family member/carer and provide an opportunity to share personal experiences and advice together in a group setting.
The six sessions cover:
- “Getting to know you”. A one to one phone call with Visibility Scotland and Food Heroes dieticians to discuss your personal goals so that we can ensure you get the most out of the course.
- Information on assistive technology and improving the accessibility of phones and tablets.
- Advice on making your kitchen more accessible and daily living skills practice, including chopping, pouring and spreading.
- Light exercises to improve posture and balance, to keep you safer on your feet. Advice on improving your social skills and confidence when around other people.
- “Movement and Mindfulness” session with New Rhythms for Glasgow. Enjoy some dancing and relaxation time.
- Practical session in our kitchen area where we follow and complete a healthy meal recipe, with support and guidance from Visibility Scotland and Food Heroes.
Every EyeCan! participant is given a Visibility Scotland resource bag which includes a range of helpful items including a finger guard, ruler, a reading light and bump-ons.
One of the participants who took part in the pilot EyeCan! course spoke positively about their experience:
“So far, the course has more than met my expectations through offering advice, support and practical solutions and I’m looking forward to the practical sessions. Many thanks to all involved.”
Our next course starts with “getting to know you” phone calls on the 20th and 21st of January.
If you are living with sight loss in the Glasgow City area and are keen to improve your physical and mental well-being, then EyeCan! could be right for you.
Give us a call on 0141 332 4632 to find out more and book your place.
Posted on the: January 11, 2022