Edinburgh sight loss support directory: emotional support
Visibility Scotland Patient Support Service, Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion
Phone: 0131 378 1874
- We provide practical and emotional support to patients of the Eye Pavilion who are 16 or over and going through diagnosis or experiencing changes to their vision. We also support their family and carers.
- This service provides information, hands-on demonstration of a huge range of assistive aids and technology, person-centred advice and a friendly listening ear for any worries or concerns related to living with sight loss.
Read more about our Patient Support Service at the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion.
Visibility Scotland Positive Outlook courses
Phone: 0131 378 1874
- A free, three-week course that aims to support and inform people that are experiencing daily challenges as a result of their visual impairment. The course provides a group environment with an introduction to practical and emotional advice, helpful tips and factual information on eye conditions and local/national services. The course enables people to meet others who may be experiencing similar challenges.
Sight Scotland Family Wellbeing Service
Phone: 0800 024 8973
The Sight Scotland Family Wellbeing Service offers a range of support to individuals and families who are impacted by sight loss.
This service allows Sight Scotland to reach out to communities so that they can help people impacted by sight loss, at any stage from the point of diagnosis, offering direct support to individuals, families, friends and carers, regardless of age.
The service can:
- help with information about sight loss conditions
- provide emotional support
- provide information and advice about equipment, low vision aids, IT and assistive technology
- help with benefits, grants and financial support.
The Family Wellbeing Service can make referrals to the Sight Scotland Rehabilitation Team and signpost to other local support groups.
You can access the service through the Family Wellbeing Support Line.
This is a free, confidential service for families and carers of people with sight loss in Scotland.
Specialist advisors are available Monday to Friday, 9-5pm to answer calls to the Freephone number.
RNIB counselling and Living Well with Sight Loss courses
Tel: 0303 123 9999
- RNIB Telephone Counselling – free structured sessions with a trained counsellor to support people to talk through their thoughts & feelings connected to their sight loss.
- Living Well with Sight Loss Courses – structured group sessions either face to face or telephone based to meet and share experiences with others; boost confidence around living with sight loss; and get practical advice information and resources.
Read more about RNIB services.
Macular Society telephone counselling
Phone: 0300 3030 111
- Free structured telephone counselling sessions with a trained counsellor, for anyone diagnosed with a Macular Disease (or a family member of someone experiencing MD).
Read more about the Macular Society telephone counselling service.
Find more information and contacts for services across Edinburgh by selecting from the options below.