Edinburgh sight loss support directory: low vision aids and equipment
Visibility Scotland Patient Support Service, Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion
Phone: 0131 378 1874
- We provide practical and emotional support to to patients of the Eye Pavilion who are 16 or over and going through diagnosis or experiencing changes to their vision. We also support their families and carers.
- The service provides information, hands-on demonstration of a huge range of assistive aids and technology, person-centred advice and a friendly listening ear for any worries or concerns related to living with sight loss.
Read more about our Patient Support Service at the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion.
Phone: 0131 385 7488
The Sight Scotland Rehabilitation & Mobility service supports adults living with visual impairments across Edinburgh, Midlothian and East Lothian to learn new skills through training, guidance and advice on safe and effective ways to continue with everyday tasks.
Independent living skills:
- home assessments and training on managing daily living tasks
- advice on reading & accessing print
- demonstrating equipment.
Orientation and mobility:
- indoor and outdoor mobility and orientation training
- pre-cane skills
- identifying safe routes
- long cane training
- sighted guiding.
Information and advice
- lighting and contrast
- types of magnifiers
- apps and accessibility features on mobile devices
- talking books and newspapers
- groups and clubs
- benefits and support
- signposting to external support services.
Read more about Sight Scotland.
RNIB Products for Life Store
Phone: 0131 652 3140
- Low vision aids and equipment available to view and purchase. There may be changes to this service in the near future – please phone for up to date info.
RNIB Technology for Life
Phone: 0131 652 3140
- Weekly drop in clinic at RNIB,12 Hillside Crescent, Edinburgh run by Digital Skills Officers and offering support, training, demo, accessibility advice about technology such as smart phones, tablets, and apps.
Read more about the RNIB.
Phone: 0131 443 3837 or 07761330031
- Edinburgh Health and Social Care Partnership’s Smart Home has an extensive selection of technology to demonstrate to people with a vision impairment. The Smart Home is open for 1 to 1 essential face to face appointments at this time.
Please email Annie Seath, Senior Care & Support Worker for Digital Technologies or COTRS for more details.
Triple Tap Tech
Phone: 0141 353 1567 or 0780 5353 149
- An organisation who advises, helps, supports, and trains people with a visual impairment on everything to do with technology, free of charge.
Read more about Triple Tap Tech.
Find more information and contacts for services across Edinburgh by selecting from the options below.